Friday, July 20, 2012

Day 5

I'm so excited!  Today, I got to officially cross the first item off my list!  I keep a hard copy of it near the computer, and I got to physically draw a red line through it!

86. Officially name all of my gnomes - Is officially completed!  A very intense game of Guess Who helped me find the motivation to finish naming them (Yesterday's dinner and game at the kitchen table really seemed to work for my husband and I, so we did it again, even though we weren't due for another week!  See?  I just knew that good habits would start to form from this!).  I plan on doing a photo shoot with all of them sometime soon, and will introduce them properly, with their names, to the world.

2. I had a super good time reading today.  Podhajsky and I had some very interesting discussions, and there's SO much information on properly halting (and how to do it, and why we need to do it, and what it does for the horse's body, etc) that was actually very intriguing today.  My gems for the day:
"An exaggerated position of the head, as is so often seen, would hinder the free and elastic movement of the horse's legs, thus taking away the brilliancy of the half pass."  Yes, this quote is directly referring to the half pass, but in modern dressage, you see the position of the head robbing the horse from its movement ALL of the time.  I thought this was a very nice reminder.  Another quote about where modern dressage has taken horsemanship:
"Unfortunately halts are not practised with sufficient care nowadays, as most riders prefer the more spectacular movements to the simple basic training - an alarming sign of the general decline in equestrian art."
Podhajsky has a couple more books out there, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be reading them sometime in the next 30-whatever months.

60 Today was my second no-spend day of July!  This month is going to be tricky, since I started so close to the end of it.  My husband says it would be fair to only have 5 no spend days, since I only had half the month, but I'm going to give all 10 my all, just to see if it can be done.

38 Resulted in the master bedroom/bathroom being 95% decluttered, so there should be maybe half an hour more work tomorrow and it will be done (then, I think I'm going to tackle the laundry room).  I've discovered two draw backs of getting my house in order, though.  First, my desire to keep my nails painted is currently being thwarted by the repetitve action of scrubbing things that haven't been scrubbed since we moved in clean.  And second, my home office has become my "catch all" for the things that are going to end up in storage (seasonal and the like) and the things that are going to end up being garage-saled or Goodwilled.  I'm pretty sure that my office is going to be the last place to get worked over for this reason, but it's pretty nice to see how much stuff I'm willing and able to live without.  I've also managed to accumulate two whole bags of trash just from the kitchen and master suite.  I can't believe I've had this much *junk* in my house and not noticed it until now!

67 Made some progress today, though having two or three days from the last time I tried to play Halo and now proved difficult.  We were on the little shooty car thing for most of our session tonight, and I couldn't figure out why it was so much harder today than it was the first day.  Half an hour later, I realized I was watching my husband's half of the screen.  I *told* you that I had a lot of learning to do!

I got my sweeping and vaccuuming done today, and meant to wax the floors, but didn't get around to it.  That leaves me tomorrow before the week is over to accomplish the "windows and wax" objective, or else I'll have to start over again.  Ugh.  I also successfully avoided doing most physical activity today, so hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get my run in with little problem.  My picture of the day (that I STILL have to make an album for) is another one of Boo Boo Boy, since Blues is incredibly not photogenic after dark.

Today's 5 things:
  1. My husband passed his PT test!  Not that we weren't expecting him to, but he'd been trying to test for about three weeks now and always had weather or some kind of administrative issue cancelling the test.  But it's done and over with now :)
  2. As I gushed about at the beginning of this post, I got to cross my first objective off the list!
  3. Somehow, despite the projected 106-degree high we have for Sunday, the temperature didn't break 92 today.  It was LOVELY.
  4. Star was 100% enthusiastic about his work today, and Crystal tried hard, even though she had ouchy feet.
  5. 3 of my 5 aquariums got new filters cartridges put in, which has made those aquariums stop leaking if the hoods are all the way on now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment